Friday, November 28, 2008

How exciting is drywall??


The answer is : VERY. The above photo shows our denim walls. Yes, the entire addition has been insulated with denim. Or, to be more specific, reclaimed denim scraps that have been made into insulation that is as effective as the hideous fiberglass insulation that is standardly used. I do like the karmic justice of having used fabric as my lifeblood and using the scraps in my home.

This photo above shows our DRYWALL in the kitchen. ( and that little window will have a mountain view!) I have never been more excited by drywall. It's the beginning of the end once they are drywalling. Oh. My. God. It looks like a room again.

We really only have a few more weeks left. This started end of August. It was end of Oct. when our kitchen became non-functional. It is now end Nov. I vacillate between "holy shit how can I take this another moment" and finding it normal to stack dirty dishes in the bathroom. It's the end of the project. The cost swelled beyond all expectations, even for 2 people who have remodeled before and were prepared to go over budget. ( note to self, when a contractor comes in at 50% of the other bids, you should try to figure out why before you hire them....like maybe they bid only the cost of installing one light in a kitchen that started out with 4 lights and is having more space added to it...nope, you end up with 11 lights, and you will pay for 11 lights. so let's just multiply that part of the bid by 11...) I have washed dishes in the tub for, oh, 4 weeks. I think I may weep when the new dishwasher is installed in about 3 weeks. That's 7 weeks of dishes in the tub, people.

It will be beautiful. We'll forget the inconvenience, the dust, the endless check writing. It's what I tell myself every day....

No comments: